Emergency Housing Assistance Program

NeighborWorks Montana has partnered with the Montana Department of Commerce to provide statewide support to renters and homeowners who need assistance applying for the Emergency Housing Assistance Program.


If you need assistance applying, please email NeighborWorks Montana at [email protected] or call 406.604.4500.

We will do our best to respond to you within 2 business days but higher than expected volume may affect our response times. To adhere to all COVID related social distancing recommendations, this statewide assistance will be provided over the phone.

Please review the program information below. 

COVID Intro Section

Program Information

The Emergency Housing Assistance Program provides rent, security deposit, mortgage payment assistance, and/or hazard insurance for Montanans who have lost a job or substantial income due to COVID-19. Applicants are eligible for $250 – $2,000 per month. The program pays the difference between 25% of the household’s net monthly income and their eligible housing costs. Income limits range from $75,000-$125,000 annually based on family size.

You may be eligible for this program even if you have now returned to work or regained income. The program is focused on the time you experience the most impact from COVID and extends back to April 1, 2020. Once you apply, if you continue to have lost income due to the impact of COVID-19 support can be provided based on continued need on a monthly basis.


Find answers to common questions on the FAQ page.

Application volume has increased immensely, it may take ten or more business days for response from Montana State concerning your application.

Tips for Success

  • For best results, use Google Chrome or Firefox as your internet browser. Mobile devices, Explorer, and Edge are not recommended for use during the application process.
  • If unable to scan, use your mobile device to take a photo of the documents you need to send, including a photo of each page of the document.
  • Keep in mind that your gross income is the total of all your income before any taxes or deductions have been taken. Net income is the sum of your money after taxes and deductions have been taken.
  • Income sources include wages, social security, pensions, public assistance, unemployment, self-employment, etc.
  • If you have applied before and were denied and would like to reapply please do not create a new application. Reach out to NeighborWorks Montana at 406.604.4500 or [email protected]. We will help you get your original application reopened.

What To Gather While Waiting For Assistance With The Application

Income Verification

You will need to submit at least one (1) preferred or other acceptable income documentation from the list below for each and every income source for you and the other members of your household. Please provide income documentation from the time that your income was most impacted as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, as well as current income documentation. You can go back as far as April 1, 2020 for this program.

Preferred documentation:

  • Letter or email from employer documenting job loss, layoff or closure of place of employment
  • Paystub(s) documenting decrease in wage earnings at time of COVID-19 impact
  • Paystub(s) for other wage-earning household members
  • Letter from childcare provider documenting closure
  • Unemployment insurance benefit statement or Montana Works screen shots

Other acceptable income documentation (only if preferred unavailable or not applicable):

  • Self-certification of absence from work to care for home-board school-aged child(ren)
  • Self-certification of other pertinent circumstances (i.e. required to quarantine or self-quarantine)

Housing Documentation

You will need to submit all of the following as they apply to your situation.

For Renters:

  • Current lease agreement (required for renters seeking rent assistance)
  • Current Lot Rent statement (for homeowners who rent a lot and are seeking Lot Rent assistance)
  • Landlord/property manager or mortgage servicer name, phone, mailing address, and email address

For Homeowners:

  • Current mortgage statement or verification of mortgage (VOM) from servicer (required for homeowners seeking mortgage assistance)
  • Current Lot Rent statement (for residents of manufactured homes seeking Lot Rent assistance)
  • Current hazard insurance bill (if you pay this cost directly rather than through a mortgage and are seeking Insurance assistance)

Financial Education

COVID has derailed the budgets of thousands of families and individuals across the state of Montana. If you find yourself struggling to figure out how to navigate your finances during this time, we invite and encourage you to take the free, online Financial Skill Building class offered by Homeword, a Missoula-based nonprofit. This monthly class teaches you how to become financially empowered through these challenging economic times. You will learn how to create a budget, save for goals or emergencies, manage or rebuild your credit, avoid financial pitfalls and consumer traps, understand taxes and medical insurance and so much more! This class will teach you the money management skills necessary to adapt to economic changes. To learn more or register please go to homeword.org/financial-education.

There are also a variety of housing counseling and education resources available statewide that may be of value to you. You can find a housing counseling agency here and learn about the programs they have available near you.

COVID Financial Education

Statewide Partnership

Offering assistance with the application process across the state would not have been possible without NeighborWorks Montana being able to partner with other organizations. We are grateful for their dedication to ensuring that Montanans receive the help they need to apply for these funds and remain in their homes! Click their logos below to learn more about them and the services they provide.


Interested in Homebuyer Education or Counseling?